Book update: Publication and pre-release dates

Please be sure to also read our book FAQ.

Well. It’s been quite a month.

We’ve been busy (very, very busy) getting the book to press, trying to avert disaster at our printer, planning our launch parties and subsequent events, and speaking with publishing industry professionals about our marketing and distribution plans.

And we’ve learned something. We’ve been doing it wrong.

The support we’ve had from all our backers has been amazing, and the Amazon pre-sales have been amazing, too. We’ve had incredible grassroots success. But we want to be more than a grassroots success: we want to push this book into the mainstream. We want to be in brick-and-mortar stores and libraries; we want people to stumble on us who may never have heard of polyamory before.

And to do that, we need more time. There are certain steps that need to be followed, you see, before members of the stodgy old-school book industry will pick you up. You need advance copies, and need reviews. Bookstores want to have your book before it’s available online.

So we’ve made a new plan.

The launch parties are happening as scheduled, and so are all our events in Atlanta and North Carolina. All our crowdfunding backers will get their softcover books as scheduled [EDIT: and your e-books, too]. Folks at our events will be able to pick up softcovers, too, and the bookstores who hosted us will be carrying them, as well. But those copies will be special advance copies. For this summer, only a few people will have them–the people who backed our campaign and those lucky enough to attend one of our events (or live in one of the cities where an indie bookstore is already carrying advance copies).

Official publication is now September 2. This is just before the start of our fall book tour, and gives us just enough time to get those all-important critical reviews–as well as get a bigger print run lined up at the distributor to go out to fill the first orders.

The people this mainly effects are those who have pre-ordered the book on Amazon. You’re still getting your book, but it will be delayed (as we understand pre-orders, though, you won’t be charged until the books ship). And Amazon pre-orders will stay open throughout the summer, so please do continue to share the link!

Here are the early events where you can pick up a book:

Books will also be on sale through the summer at Charis Books in Atlanta, GA; Flyleaf Books in Chapel Hill, NC; The Art of Loving and People’s Co-op Bookstore in Vancouver, BC; and She Bop in Portland, OR.

We’ve released a video update explaining all this, in which we also introduce our awesome new sales associate, Cora:

Questions? Put ‘em in the comments! Thanks everyone for all your support and understanding.

*Indiegogo backers who contributed $25 or more get a free ticket to the launch parties. We emailed links to register–check your spam/promotional folders if you didn’t get them!

Like what you’re reading on the More Than Two blog? Buy the book now at Amazon or Powell’s.

15 Comments

1. When will the crowdfunding backer copies be sent out? I’m going to be moving overseas in a month and may have to change my address.

• We’re aiming to have them sent just before the launch parties, so around May 29 or 30. It may be during the following week, though.

2. Nothing in Seattle? I’ll keep my Amazon order too, but you could probably sell your entire run here without batting an eye. And in the meantime, I might have to pick a weekend to Bolt Bus down for a summer copy. These last couple months of waiting have felt like forever.

• I think there’s a good chance we’ll be able to set up sales in Seattle soon. We just don’t have anything concrete yet.

• Oh, Damien–if you’d like to encourage your local bookstore to carry the book, or to book an event, you can have them get in touch with us directly at orders@thorntreepress.com. We’ll be reaching out to bookstores, but it doesn’t hurt for a local fan to be proactive, too :-)

3. Will you be contacting backers first then? It’s just if they won’t be sent out until then, I don’t know if it will arrive before I leave, and so I’d be better off giving you my new address, once I have it confirmed. I currently live in Malaysia, so postage time there might take a while, but I’m moving to San Francisco. If I don’t have a confirmed address by the time the orders go out, can I have my copy sent later?

• We sent out a shipping survey several weeks ago, and we’re not planning to do it again seeing as we have to provide a final shipping list this week. If you’re not sure of your address, then probably the best thing for us to do is to clear out your address line and not ship your book until you’re settled. You can email me with a new address then (eve@morethantwo.com).

4. Thanks. I can’t remember if I filled out the survey or not. With the move, everything in the last several weeks is a bit of a blur. :)

• I’ve listed your book as “hold for new address.” Email me when you have something.

5. So, I pre-paid for Portland release event and a book copy this Saturday. But, it is a 2-hour drive each way for me. Should I come? Will authors be there? My book? I’d prefer to know before I decide to get in the car.

• Yes, the party is still on! We will be there, and we will have advance copies of the book available as well.

6. Good to know. I’ll make the trip. Your blog has been very useful and I want to support you, and hopefully take a selfie with you. :-)

• I’m glad you’re coming! I’m a little worried, though: I thought the blog post was pretty clear that the events were still on and the books were shipping to backers on time. Can you let me know if there’s something that would have made it clearer?

7. Curious about whether the book tour will bring you to New Orleans. I’d like to have you/y’all present to our local pansexual BDSM organization. How is the best way to make contact?

• There are no plans to go that far east on this trip. But I love New Orleans and do make it out every few years. Maybe we’ll find ourselves out that way another time–if so, we’ll be in touch!

Submit a Comment