Please be sure to also read our publication date update.
Since we started taking Amazon pre-orders for More Than Two: A Practical Guide to Ethical Polyamory, we’ve gotten a bunch of questions about it here, on our Facebook page, and on my and Franklin’s Twitter feeds. I decided it would be a good idea to post a little FAQ here to answer the most common ones.
Will there be an e-book?
Yes! There will be both Kindle and ePub editions. Unfortunately, it’s hard to impossible for micro-publishers like us to take pre-orders for e-books, so you’ll have to wait for May 30 to buy it. A couple of details:
- We haven’t settled on pricing yet, but it’s looking like it’ll be around $9.99.
- Anyone who backed our Indiegogo campaign at $15 or more will be automatically getting an e-book. Check your email on May 30 for the link to download it–be sure to check your spam and “promotions” folders if you don’t see it. That link will only work for a limited time, because…
- We’re probably going to be signing up for Amazon’s KDP Select, a program that substantially boosts Kindle royalties and sales rankings, but with the trade-off of giving Amazon exclusive distribution rights to digital versions of your book for 90 days. That means that once we enroll in KDP, we have to stop distributing e-books through all other channels. So what we’ll probably do is make the backer and ePub editions available for 10-14 days before starting the 90-day exclusivity period with Amazon. Come fall, we’ll launch a wider ePub distribution campaign.
Can I get your book if I’m not in the United States?
We’ll be making the book available via print-on-demand on Amazon UK and EU on or shortly after May 30. At that point you’ll also be able to buy POD copies directly via the Createspace e-store, which has fairly reasonable international shipping rates (around $6).
In the month or two after publication, we’ll also be distributing the book into other international markets, including Canada, Australia and Brazil. We will make announcements here and on our Facebook page as that happens.
In the meantime, if you live in one of these other countries and don’t want to pay full retail + shipping for a book, you might want to consider encouraging your local bookstore to put in a wholesale order directly from us, or get your local poly group together to buy a carton at wholesale + shipping. Which brings us to…
Are you taking wholesale orders?
Yes, we are taking wholesale orders for the book. Poly groups, bookstores, university professors and others interested in bulk purchasing can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for information. We will also provide complementary desk copies to accompany wholesale academic orders.
Eventually the book will be available through a distributor, but we’re still working on choosing our distributor and establishing a relationship.
Are you sending review copies?
Members of the media, including high-profile bloggers, may write to press@thorntreepress for review copies. (We reserve the right to decide what constitutes “high-profile.”)
What else can I do to help?
The most important thing you can do right now is to share our pre-order link: http://amzn.to/ReG10R. (If you tweet, please use the hashtag #MoreThanTwo.)
The more orders we get through Amazon, the higher our sales ranking goes and the more early exposure we get.
Here are some other things you can do:
- When you visit the Amazon page, go visit the pages of some other poly and sex-positive books–like The Polyamorists Next Door, The Ethical Slut, Not Your Mother’s Playground, Sex at Dawn, Open, Opening Up, The Husband Swap, Polyamory and Pregnancy, and Redefining Our Relationships. This will help associate our book with those books on Amazon for people looking for books on poly.
- Ask your local bookstore or library to carry us. Give them the email@example.com email address. Most libraries allow you to put in requests for purchase.
- After you read the book, review it on Amazon.
- Review the book on your blog, Goodreads, or other preferred social media channel.
- Help improve the page rankings for morethantwo.com by linking to it on websites and blog posts about polyamory. If you have links to the old xeromag.com site, update those links to the matching page on morethantwo.com.
- Fill out our book tour survey and help us organize a gig in your town!
- Register for Atlanta Poly Weekend and come to our workshops and Franklin’s keynote.
- Follow us on Facebook, invite your friends, and like and share our posts.
- Join our mailing list.
Other ideas? Other questions? Share them in the comments!